Couldn't face going back to St. Marc today even to see if the bank was open. It is normally open on aSaturday morning. My daughter, Dana-Lynn, had a good suggestion. That I send an employee to sleep outside the bank for some hours and then I go in and change places in the morning. Might have to do that next week.
Early this morning I put Ti Luc in Sabine's hands, went to the hospital and spent the morning with Serlande. I see another tiny bit of improvement today which encourages me a great deal. Obviously the antibiotic they are giving her is starting to work. She still does not respond when spoken to but she does now mouth the word "water". Too, we can now sit her up to pee which is a far cry from having to change her bedding and clothing constantly. A 'blan' doctor who worked at HAS and who knows Serlande and her diabetes health problems arrived back at the hospital late yesterday afternoon. I don't remember when I was more happy to see someone than I was to see her in the hospital last night. She is now in charge of Serlande's care and she is someone I can talk with easily and readily. Thank you, God.
I knew I would be needed here on the compound today as well as at HAS. Having to be in several places at once is very tiring due to the constant running back and forth. Take care of one and run off to the next. Take care of that and then run to the next. I think my nick name should be "Run Run' or in Haiti it would be "Mme. Kouri Kouri (Run Run)".
A temporary storage depot room was being constructed with plywood today in the meeting/devotion room close to my house. I still have space left for our morning devotions and staff meetings.
Storage space in the meeting room.
Too, behind my house the land was being measured and marked for a foundation for a structure that would hold the four water tanks and give me storage space underneath. I do not like wasted space and storage is a high priority here. More planning is needed but hopefully construction can get underway soon.
Measuring the land
The hospital continues daily to have lots of new injured patients arrive from Port au Prince. Some have been released but immediately someone else takes their place. The wards are packed solid - far too many beds, but they have no choice. While I was with Serlande today a dressing was changed on a man's arm next to her. I have watched him suffer a lot for a couple of days. Yikes, no wonder. Today I saw the arm uncovered and I almost passed out. Such suffering by so many.
A man who looked very sad talked to me about his brother. He had gone to PaP and found his body. He placed him in a morgue and notified the family. He went back to the morgue on day 3 but could not find his brother. He was told that since there was no electricity in the city the bodies had to be taken away and put into the mass grave outside of Port. He was having a hard time dealing with it. A lady came to talk to me, and ask for help. Her brother had been standing on a road in PaP and an antenna fell on him splitting his head open. She got him back here to the hospital hoping they could save him, but his head injury was too bad. She wanted a little help to bury him.
One proud litle boy
Despite all the running around I did trying to take care of everything I made some time for my precious kids. I am adding a photo of my newest one - Judel who is two years old. When he joined this family he was terrified. Not for long though. He is the cute, mischievous and very lovable. Ben, one of our team members, who came back for the second time, is grandpa to Judel. Ben's son and daughter-in-law are sponsoring Judel for the orphanage.
Spending time with the kids
Our newest addition: Judel
Thank you for all the support that is coming. Thank you. Continue to pray for me please, for health and strength so I can continue to do what is required here.
2 comments:
You do a good job of writing on the Blog. I/Sandra have been busy on HATSA business, nice kind of busy and nice to see mail in our box. Take care and keep us posted as time permits. You are in my thoughts constantly. Love Dickie
god bless you and the very important work you are doing. I am hoping to go to PAP in the next few weeks with the Chaplain of the Fire Department where I work. He has an organization 10 miles from PAP. I am a firefighter and am meeting him tomorrow to see about sending some of our police and firefighters. Perhaps we can come to help you while there. also I would like to know how to send a donation for your orphanage or sponsor a child? please post some info.. thanks god bless you and your children!
Post a Comment