Keith
I spent a good
part of today with my head hanging over a toilet or a sink.
No, I wasn’t sick, it was plumbing day. Little kids have unique ways of clogging up sinks and toilets sometimes without even trying.
No, I wasn’t sick, it was plumbing day. Little kids have unique ways of clogging up sinks and toilets sometimes without even trying.
(Ironically, about
2 hours after I left Montreal last Monday, Joan had a
problem with our toilet
at home. The handle fell off. While I was enroute to a
plumbing job in Haiti
she was on the phone to a friend to come and help. Thanks
John for bailing me
out – I owe you!)
So now we need
parts. Off to Liancourt to the local plumbing store. This
place was about 3
meters by 10 meters and loaded floor to ceiling. It had
almost everything I was
looking for with the exception of tap washers and O-rings. (Next team please bring)
It was as well
stocked as Home Depot with friendlier and more helpful
staff.
| Liancourt |
| Karen knows everyone |
| Plumbing store |
| Shopping |
| Supplies |
| Don't miss anything off the list Keith |
| Trying for a discount |
Back to the
compound and back to work. Water is a scarce and valuable
commodity in this
country and on this compound. The drinking water comes from
a well and is very
good. It is electrically pumped up to 4 - 1000 gallons / 37,800
liters each holding
tanks and is then distributed by gravity. When the
electricity is off, which is
often, the tanks can empty in a hurry. So, every leak and
drip needs to be
fixed. Replaced taps in the laundry and 2 others in the
girls’ home and we are
good for a few days. I hope.
The water holding
tanks used to be on the 3rd floor of the main
building. The
earthquake of 2010 destroyed the structure so now they are
on an independent
tower.
While the older
kids were at school the inseparable pair of Sandra and
Jonathan played school
with their knapsacks and vivid imaginations.
4 comments:
Wait until you have your head over the septic tank behind the Depot. Toilets look good after that. I will get your supplies today and send down with Gerry.
Thanks Dickie. I'll stick with the toilets and leave the septic for you.
I love the line "Little kids have unique ways of clogging up sinks and toilets sometimes without even trying." It gave me a good laugh. I also love that Joan has an IOU on you. What is growing in the field beside you...I see something planted in the field in the water tower photos.
I think it is sweet potato.
Post a Comment